XL Cabin Moisture

Apr 13, 2007
As the temperature has dropped in the last few days, there's been an increasing amount of condensation on the windscreen and back window. It's taking the heating element about 10 mins to clear the rear screen (not helped by the fact that one of the horizontal elements doesn't work - is there a quick fix for this??) and a similar amount of time for the air vents to clear the windscreen.

A quick feel around the mats doesn't come up with anything that's damp, so the moisture doesn't seem to be getting in via a leak, and there's not been any wet item shoved in the boot.

Anyone else having a similar issue, or have any suggestions on how to cure it?

Funnily enough, the condensation is such that I can see the imprint of the production line notice that was obviously stuck to the inside of the windscreen, so at least I have something to read whilst waiting for it to clear!

Tabintab

Sep 15, 2006
Peterborough
As the temperature has dropped in the last few days, there's been an increasing amount of condensation on the windscreen and back window. It's taking the heating element about 10 mins to clear the rear screen (not helped by the fact that one of the horizontal elements doesn't work - is there a quick fix for this??) and a similar amount of time for the air vents to clear the windscreen.

A quick feel around the mats doesn't come up with anything that's damp, so the moisture doesn't seem to be getting in via a leak, and there's not been any wet item shoved in the boot.

Anyone else having a similar issue, or have any suggestions on how to cure it?

I get the same with my 05 plate Altea. I just turn on the Air Conditioning for a couple mins & all windows clear up.

Tab

Apr 13, 2007
The aircon normally runs (I seem to remember reading somewhere that it also dehumidifies the air as well as cooling it), but it doesn't seem to get rid of the condensation quickly - I just thought that 10min was a bit on the slow side.

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Try running it when fully warmed up and put full heat through each set of vents to dry them out if possible, windows open and preferably a mild windy day! I get condensation, especially now the cooler weather, cleaning windows works if you can get it perfect, but always streaks on me!

bluealtea

After getting the car and the interior up to maximum temperature try cooling the interior down to dehumidify the air and the soft trim inside.
Close the windows, set temp to minimum on climate control, recirculation on, fan speed not excessively high.
The cooling matrix in the air con system should get below the dew point of the air in the car and air moisture should drop out via the drain. May take a while and several attempts to do effectively.
If your car has climate control maximum dehum is difficult to achieve, but if you have aircon control, on these damp days turn the aircon on to cool and dehum the air but turn your heat up to keep your toes warm.

Tell

Staff member
Good hear that the XL has the same problem as the Altea vanilla.

Not such a techinical answer as BlueAltea and may be I'm doing it wrong but I just keep the air con on, the button pushed to windscreen so the blowers are on full blast and the windows down immediately you get in the car else it starts fogging up off your body heat and humidity. Keep the windows down when you set off. Any greece on the inside of the windscreen doesn't help ie. oily dirt off the road. As for the heater, the fan holds back off until the engine is warmer enough to make a difference then it kicks in. Hence the need to put the windscreen blower on else there won't be much air moving in the car. We're talking dual climate control here.

kazza62blue

I've only experienced this condensation problem in the last few days. It was pretty cold this morning & the inside of the widscreen & rear window were frosted up. I was convinced I must have left a window open but hadn't. Is this unusual?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If your rear screen is taking 10 mins to clear you'll probably find that the misting is on the inside. The heating elements were designed for clearing the outside not inside. Best bet is to wipe them clear with a cloth or kitchen roll, this will remove this moisture from your car instead or evapourating it back into the cars atmosphere. As said, clean windows clear far quicker and mist up less than dirty windows. There are anti fog products on the market but I've never used them.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.