Year 2 service what does it cost?

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Online booking form on the Seat website says £239 for 2nd Year service (Major). Elsewhere on the website it says £295 and the dealer quoted £295 when I phoned them. What is the actual fixed price?

SEAT Rule

Nov 19, 2019
I think a small service (minor) is £175
Every 6k to 10k or 6 months to 12 months (SEAT say 10K or 12 months)
Should be engine oil / oil filter change,
check all lights, levels including tyre pressures and tread condition, windscreen for chips + condition/alignment of washers & wipers/blades. Quick visual inspection of engine bay & underside of vehicle for anything dangerous. Lubricate door locks & hinges.
Carry out test drive and advise accordingly of any problems. Reset oil/service inspection dash light.
Stamp service book, and warranty book if under 3 years old.

Full service (major) is £295
Every 10k to 15k or 12 months to 18 months
(SEAT say 20K or 24 months)
Should be engine oil / oil filter change, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter changed,
check all lights, levels including tyre pressures and tread condition, full inspection of brakes + brake fluid condition, steering + PSF condition, suspension, fuel system, cooling system.
All 4 wheels should be removed on this service, and spare tyre checked if any.
Pretty much everything on the vehicle should be checked, including seat belts, dash warning lights, lubricate door locks & hinges, also exhaust emissions should be checked for correct specified settings/limits. Main Dealer should use diagnostic scanner to check ECU for any logged faults, and reset oil/service inspection dash light.
Should also check/advice on car mileage/age as regards to cam belt or timing chain replacement interval.
Carry out test drive.
Anything dangerous or warn they should advise you accordingly.
Stamp service book, and warranty book if under 3 years old.

For me personally I wouldn't change my engine oil every 20k, mines changed every 8k to 10k max.

Regarding the online price you found of £239 for a full service, I'd print it off and show it to your local SEAT Main Dealership, and see if they would do it for their online adviced price.

Hope this helps
Si

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I complained to Seat customer service and they discovered that the £239 is a mistake on the online booking system. They told me that Seat would honour the price listed. I just checked the online system again and the price is still wrong...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sometimes, the "booked online" price is lower, or the same as "walk in" price but with 12 roadside cover - free, that might be why you are seeing different prices quoted at times, now not a problem for you if you have now booked that car in at the lower price though.

Edit:- quite a few people in this modern world, find the price for exactly the same job using genuine VW Group parts but at a local VAG Indie, contact them by email, then try using that printed out quote at their local VW Group dealership - as most of them, if/when pressed will match your lower price.

Cristian CH

Mar 19, 2018
I payed £239 as it was a "fixed price for the second year service".

Can someone confirm that the engine air filter is changed in the second year service? (it was not changed in the first year and will not be changed in the 3rd year as it's a minor service)

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have not seen the service "needs" for a 1.0TSI 95PS engine, but typically, unless mileages are HUGE the air filter will not get replaced until the year 4 service as probably the spark plugs, so I'd guess the mileage equivalent will be 40K or 60K miles.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I have not seen the service "needs" for a 1.0TSI 95PS engine, but typically, unless mileages are HUGE the air filter will not get replaced until the year 4 service as probably the spark plugs, so I'd guess the mileage equivalent will be 40K or 60K miles.
I know a lot of people slag off AC - who looked after my Ibiza from new during it's warranty period - so I put a very small blob of dark blue paint on the oil filter each time it went in for service - oil service or oil/inspection service. It never came back with the blob visible so I recon they renewed it each time, or went to the bother of carefully removing it without damaging the filter's paint! - good for them. It also had the "Mk1 turbo" (it's a 1.0 95hp CHZB engines ST) which suffered the "frozen wastegate linkage syndrom" which I believe is quite common? The complete turbo was replaced with the Mk2 - if that's what it's called - version totally free of charge as you would expect but it was nice that there was no argument and it's run like clockwork ever since.

I've now just completed it's first service myself as it's 4 years old and out of warranty and whilst it's depressing to see that a lot of the extra little preventative maintenance jobs I do as a matter of course have not been done (but no commercial operation could afford to at the price of a standard service so you can't hold that against them) I can confirm that examination of the parts removed would seem to support that the oil filter had been changed at the last, small, service. The air filter was far too clean to have gone for 4 years without being changed so I recon was done on year two, but might have been done when the turbo was changed? The cabin filter looked original. It was a carbon one so difficult to be sure as they look dirty from day one but there was quite a bit of debris in it which fell out on the floor when I took the cover off and I don't park under trees etc.

I have to say I've actually found the service/technical people very friendly and keen to help. I've asked a lot of questions prior to doing this service and they've answered most of them satisfactorily. Interestingly they say the cam belt on this engine is, like the fuel filter, a lifetime fitment and would be subject to inspection (I think after 60,000 miles?) only being changed if wear is seen. Really really don't like that so I will be getting AVW to do one at 5 years as they suggest. I don't do high mileages, 18,000 at this time, so I'll do the "lifetime" fuel filter and spark plugs myself at the same time although AVW probably wouldn't charge much to do them at the same time they're doing the belt so I may just avail myself of their good nature. That way I won't have to do battle with the removing of the ignition coils which I'm told can sometimes be quite a big problem.

PS spark plugs are recommended to be changed at 4 years or 40,000 miles.

Reactions: IanH72

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The "beauty" of these ignition coils is that their transformer/trigger assembly is so big that you could probably grab them and pull them up - failing that there is plenty scope to ease/pry/lever them up using screwdrivers, but I just went ahead and bought a suitable tool to "draw" them up/out.

As the spark plugs are still at 4 years/40K miles, I'd reckon the air cleaner will be the same - I can't remember being over distressed about the condition of the air cleaner I replaced at 4 years 27.5K miles - so maybe that was the original one, warranty conditions I'd think will be extremely tight so only what is required will get changed.

Pollen filter is every 2 years unless you live in extremely dusty region, as my wife's Polo was bought with a Western VW prepaid 3 year service and first MOT pack - which was good value, it came with a carbon coated pollen filter and lost that at the year 2 service for a basic pollen filter (every money counts), so that prompted me to replace it with a Mann Frecious version which is more effective than just carbon - treating my wife as she used to get hay fever - though maybe I also get that nowadays!

I suppose if you had tried to avoid using AC you would have given yourself a lot more travelling as Western at Colinton, closed as did the dealer at Earlston, so it would be Kirkcaldy (who gets a very good name) or Stirling.- a bit of a no brainer with AC "just down the road" even although that area is swamped with traffic normally. I would not get too concerned about the petrol filter, normally is was good to replace them at regular intervals, but seems like that time has long passed.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
The "beauty" of these ignition coils is that their transformer/trigger assembly is so big that you could probably grab them and pull them up - failing that there is plenty scope to ease/pry/lever them up using screwdrivers, but I just went ahead and bought a suitable tool to "draw" them up/out.

As the spark plugs are still at 4 years/40K miles, I'd reckon the air cleaner will be the same - I can't remember being over distressed about the condition of the air cleaner I replaced at 4 years 27.5K miles - so maybe that was the original one, warranty conditions I'd think will be extremely tight so only what is required will get changed.

Pollen filter is every 2 years unless you live in extremely dusty region, as my wife's Polo was bought with a Western VW prepaid 3 year service and first MOT pack - which was good value, it came with a carbon coated pollen filter and lost that at the year 2 service for a basic pollen filter (every money counts), so that prompted me to replace it with a Mann Frecious version which is more effective than just carbon - treating my wife as she used to get hay fever - though maybe I also get that nowadays!

I suppose if you had tried to avoid using AC you would have given yourself a lot more travelling as Western at Colinton, closed as did the dealer at Earlston, so it would be Kirkcaldy (who gets a very good name) or Stirling.- a bit of a no brainer with AC "just down the road" even although that area is swamped with traffic normally. I would not get too concerned about the petrol filter, normally is was good to replace them at regular intervals, but seems like that time has long passed.
Thanks for that RUM. When I was looking to buy I tried to get a test drive at AC but they didn't have a demo with that engine. They didn't seem to be able to understand that a drive in a different engine'd example just wasn't going to do? The Western garage at Colinton had one so I got a drive from them. They were very good, just letting me take off for a good half hour (maybe it was longer) and drive it up onto the bypass and round some country roads all on my own - refreshingly trusting. I eventually bought through a local broker which is how I ended up getting the maintenance done at AC. Whilst you'll gather I was pleased enough with their technical attentions I have to say I found their sales people pretty poor. Nothing wrong on the personal front, very polite and friendly. They were trying to help but just didn't know their subject. I really didn't run into even one who could answer more than about half the questions I had. Trouble was, I suppose, that I wanted to know technical stuff like - does it have a DM flywheel? - Is it correct it has no EGR valve? - Will a full size spare wheel fit in the wheel well in the boot? - and so on. No doubt the average Joe Bloggs has no interest in this so probably would be quite easy to satisfy. I too had heard good things about Fife SEAT and, interestingly enough the actual car I bought in the end - through the broker - had it's PDI section of the service book stamped up by them. They've also subsequently answered a couple of questions for me when I couldn't get through to the AC service/spares departments. There are times when they just don't answer! The reception answers and says they will connect you but then the extension just rings, and rings, and rings, and rings ------------------! Pity the one in Earlston closed too as I'd heard of people on the south side of the city traveling down there for their services and being very happy despite the travel.

Regarding the coils. I've heard tales of them seizing onto the plug ceramic and breaking on removal. It would seem you didn't experience that. Is your's the same engine? (1.0 95hp CHZB). I noticed the tops seemed to have plenty to get hold off.

Interesting about your air filter being changed for a cheaper version. The one I've just taken out is definitely a charcoal one with VAG markings on it. I'd describe it as slightly more than moderately dirty and I might risk a bet on it being the original (maybe not changed because the mileage at 2 years would have been showing at just under 10.000?) I've replaced it with the standard Mahle jobbie - so no charcoal.

Petrol filter? yes AVW advised to really just forget about it as long as it looked in good order and wasn't leaking. Think I'll put that consideration on the back burner for now.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
AC service or any other phone being answered, yes, I have given up and just made the journey down when I've needed to talk to them, for daughter's old Ibiza, a bit annoying as I was only wanting to book the car in once, ask about what SEAT SA's answer was to a technical issue - and re-book that car in -very annoying!

I like the need/idea of replacing plugs at 4 years / 40K miles as it lets you stand a chance of getting these coils off a bit more easily.

Was it the broker that operates out of Napier House basement that you used?

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
AC service or any other phone being answered, yes, I have given up and just made the journey down when I've needed to talk to them, for daughter's old Ibiza, a bit annoying as I was only wanting to book the car in once, ask about what SEAT SA's answer was to a technical issue - and re-book that car in -very annoying!

I like the need/idea of replacing plugs at 4 years / 40K miles as it lets you stand a chance of getting these coils off a bit more easily.

Was it the broker that operates out of Napier House basement that you used?
George M? If that's who you mean then no. It's a chap who operates a wee garage, not far from where I live, who makes his "real" money from sourcing very high quality expensive vehicles on behalf of those fortunate enough to be able to afford them. I think finding my Ibiza was probably something he found unusually amusing?

If I'm going to have a go at those plugs myself I was thinking about waiting for the warmer weather. Otherwise I'll let it ride 'till the belt needs done around this time next year - might have a word with "the lads" and see what they advise. I'm only delaying because I do such a relatively low annual mileage but I suppose I should perhaps consider that there might be an increased risk of the threads corroding and making removal more difficult.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, that is who I was thinking about, that one also, it seems sources smaller cars as well, so mainly top end but also the other end almost, my wife's sister's (second) husband's oldest son works for him, he is probably early 40's and claims that EV sales will never, within his working life, be a big part of his job! He has only sourced one high end EV car, and that buyer did not repeat that type of purchase!

Cold weather messing under bonnets, no thanks, only if really necessary, my Audi S4 was reg'd in mid February 2011, but I've pushed all servicing forward to May.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Yes, that is who I was thinking about, that one also, it seems sources smaller cars as well, so mainly top end but also the other end almost, my wife's sister's (second) husband's oldest son works for him, he is probably early 40's and claims that EV sales will never, within his working life, be a big part of his job! He has only sourced one high end EV car, and that buyer did not repeat that type of purchase!

Cold weather messing under bonnets, no thanks, only if really necessary, my Audi S4 was reg'd in mid February 2011, but I've pushed all servicing forward to May.
Yes RUM - please do say if I'm being offensive calling you RUM won't you? - Now I'm doing my own services I'm going to "time shift" my services to late spring/early summer too. As I've changed to a different spec oil now I'm thinking of doing an oil change and general check over late summer this year which should then last me through to my "time shifted" early summer permanent spot for the future and get the very last of the older spec oil out of the system (I don't believe in flushing out) The only annoying thing will be having to reset the service reminder every February without actually doing anything (if I'm lucky) to the vehicle - I'll feel like a fraud!

Having agonized over changing to the 5w-30 Fuchs (from the dealer's 5w-40 Castrol) I'm not yet noticing any real difference but I haven't done enough running to be able to tell if the improved mileage claims are real. I do notice though that the cold start valve gear rattle is definitely more short lived. This would seem to indicate that the oil is circulating more quickly when cold compared to the previous product.

I think we're both "singing from the same hymn sheet" regarding my car sourcing? just to confirm for you the initials are P. H-J. Amazingly the day I went in to pick the car up the boss wasn't in so the car was handed over to me by Mike. (also known to some as Mick). We stood and looked at each other for a minute before both saying, almost simultaneously, "I think I know you"! Turns out we go back to the days of the likes of Cochrans and Alexanders. Lots of reminiscing went on before I drove off and I pop in from time to time still just for a quick chat if I'm walking down to the library. I find them good people to know. P, as I think you know, has sold the big showroom/workshop premises and is operating out of the smaller corner site just down the road. He tells me he's "winding down" towards retirement.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, I think that for fixed price servicing VW Group workshops will always use the cheaper older version of oil, that was what happened when my wife got her 2015 Polo new and so factory filled with 5W-30, year 1 + year 2 + year 3 services, being pre-paid so cheapest version of oils used. Then I changed over to 5W-30 from year 4 >.

Car brokers, for some reason I tried out "car importing" as a means of getting a new VW Passat 4Motion back in 1999, to make sure that I was not wasting my time doing my own personal importing. Turnhouse Garage and Howard-Johnsons were two places that I got quotes from, but eventually I went to Holland and up into Limberg region to a broker called Intercars who mainly dealt with USA and UK forces, but also offered the same service to UK individuals, that meant that I got a "fully loaded" Passat 4Motion for under £20,000 including all our travel costs and VAT paid in UK - a saving of over £5.5 when compared with the best "no trade in" deal I could strike with local VW dealers, although VW AG, made sure that I waited over 9 months for my factory order car. We did the same thing when getting a VW Polo for my wife in 2002, VW had started to give in a bit by then and the wait was down to 6 months when buying from a Holland based VW main dealer near Baarn. All good fun, savings much less for Polo as it was bought using Euros and the Passat was bought using DMs - happy days being made to feel like a proper person when dealing with car dealers abroad, and not just being lied to when using UK dealerships, so now its back to UK dealerships as UK prices have been pushed down enough to deter many people from buying that way.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.