Yellow flashing warning light?

unitedjmd

This morning a yellow flashing warning light with a coil in the middle appeared for about 5 minutes then stopped.

Is this to do with electrics or could it be the oil level etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
It sounds like the glowplug warning light. It should go out when the glowplugs are warmed up but it can also indicate a problem with the brake lights so try checking that they are working properly. It could be a dead bulb or quite possibly a faulty brake light switch.

unitedjmd

Cheers mate.

So its nothing really threatening to the car.

Just want to make sure I can get home tonight and as i said it only stayed on for 5 minutes then went off.

Any more advice is welcome.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
If it was something serious like oil level you should get the oil warning light on too -- could be just an intermittent thing, but you'll be good to continue driving.

Is it the same yellow coil symbol light that comes on before starting the car from cold?

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Adding to what Ol'Timer said - The flashing heat plugs light signifies an electronic issue thats commonly associated with the brake lights. Make sure you check them. This often happens to people who have retrofitted LED bulbs in their cars...

Could always try to hook up a VAG COM?

unitedjmd

EdButler said:
Adding to what Ol'Timer said - The flashing heat plugs light signifies an electronic issue thats commonly associated with the brake lights. Make sure you check them. This often happens to people who have retrofitted LED bulbs in their cars...

Could always try to hook up a VAG COM?

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have no idea what a VAG COM is lol. :confused:

I will check my brake lighst asap but I don't anything other than the standard bulbs in my car.

Cheers.

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
There is another issue with a faulty brake light switch. There is a connection between the switch and the ECU, so that when you brake, the switch sends a signal to the ECU and it cuts power to the engine (which is why you can't heel and toe most VAG cars now). Therefore if the switch is sticking on you can find the car suddenly losing power, which is pretty unnerving. This happened to me on my Leon and I couldn't understand why the car was suddenly slowing down without any apparent reason. I have had four new switches on my SEATs, so a faulty switch is definitely a possibility.

unitedjmd

Ol' Timer said:
There is another issue with a faulty brake light switch. There is a connection between the switch and the ECU, so that when you brake, the switch sends a signal to the ECU and it cuts power to the engine (which is why you can't heel and toe most VAG cars now). Therefore if the switch is sticking on you can find the car suddenly losing power, which is pretty unnerving. This happened to me on my Leon and I couldn't understand why the car was suddenly slowing down without any apparent reason. I have had four new switches on my SEATs, so a faulty switch is definitely a possibility.

Thanks for that.

I didn't seem to be losing any power and the car definitely didn't slow down for no reason (touch wood).

The car seemed exactly the same except that the light flashed for around 5 minutes then just stopped. Was kind of unnerving as I had no idea what was wrong.

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
when mine use to come on it was due to misfuelling mixture error. Are you running any plug in power boxes to give you more power. When does the light come on while driving or just as you turn the car over. It generally means engine management has detected a signal from a sensor thats outside norm so could be a fault. Like the breaks or something more sinister liek issue with fueling. Best next service get dealer to run a diagnostic.

where abouts u from if local to me happy to run a quick diagnostic on the car which will bring up the fault that has been logged.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
unitedjmd said:
I have no idea what a VAG COM is lol. :confused:

VAG-COM is a piece of software that, with the correct cable, emulates all the functions of the dealer's diagnostic computer, so you can check/clear fault codes, do real-time monitoring/logging of all sorts of sensor outputs, run self tests, etc etc.

Have a look in the vag-com forum on here, and also the VAG-COM website.

A very very very useful piece of kit.
If you ask in the vag-com forum someone local to you might come and do a fault code scan for you.

unitedjmd

magic77 said:
when mine use to come on it was due to misfuelling mixture error. Are you running any plug in power boxes to give you more power. When does the light come on while driving or just as you turn the car over. It generally means engine management has detected a signal from a sensor thats outside norm so could be a fault. Like the breaks or something more sinister liek issue with fueling. Best next service get dealer to run a diagnostic.

where abouts u from if local to me happy to run a quick diagnostic on the car which will bring up the fault that has been logged.

I'm not running anything other than the standard equipment.

The light has only came on once and that was on the motorway sitting at about 75mph after about 25 minutes of driving.

I'm from Middlesbrough mate but thanks for the offer. :)

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
unitedjmd said:
I'm not running anything other than the standard equipment.

The light has only came on once and that was on the motorway sitting at about 75mph after about 25 minutes of driving.

I'm from Middlesbrough mate but thanks for the offer. :)

I'm up that way at some point in Jan so if you dont find anyone with vag com cable I can always bring one up.

unitedjmd

magic77 said:
I'm up that way at some point in Jan so if you dont find anyone with vag com cable I can always bring one up.

Cheers mate might hold you to that.

Give me a PM or something when your up this way if you have time.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.