Yellow Soot Monster - Ibiza FR Hybrid

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
I must just say a massive thank you to Rick making the pipe up for me. It ended up being quite a pain in the ass with lots of tooing and frowing from his workshop to get it right, then on top of that me constantly nagging him to see when it was done ;)

Paulie..

Forgot to say its no problem dude. It's all part of the fun plus I owed you a few favors :D

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Very nice!

Does that strut brace use all 3 top mount bolts?

Omp?

Raymond

Yes mate it does use all 3 top bolts, it is an OMP one.

Just reading though your thread. Nice job made with the intercooler pipes, looks loads neater rather than jubilee clips everywhere. May have to look into this myself.
Thanks mate, its much better for holding boost and not fracturing too :)

Lush car mate :) Loooads of soot! I'm I seen someone on here call it "torque dust" rather than soot, which I think is quite fitting, luckily my FR is black so it doesn't show up as much. Must be a pain to keep it clean! :(

ha ha I like the sound of 'Torque Dust' she certainly produces enough of it. It is a pain to keep clean, especially when you have OCD ;)

Paulie..

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Update time again, its been a while since I've been on here (mainly hibernating for the winter) I've done a few bits but have loads left to do before the season starts up again.
Main thing this time round is a boot install.. I have never really been into the whole 'massive sub and amp collection' scattered all over the interior so just had a VIBE 12" Space Sub and Amp combo, which is very loud indeed. As I don't use the car very often there is no real need for rear seats, this left me with a problem, removing the rear seats would allow the VIBE sub to freely roll around the back of the car as it pleases, not particularly safe when going between the roundabouts in MK, so a new sub was brought and utilising an old amp the build began...

Starting out as a block of MDF
bef3359e.jpg

7889bd92.jpg

Marking the sub out
7ccb68e8.jpg

1d5bf043.jpg

192056c3.jpg

64ec5b0a.jpg

Spacer plate cut out
3ddcc3af.jpg

35a344c2.jpg

784b8b91.jpg

Sub sitting inside the Spacer plate
4b1deb65.jpg

ee789943.jpg

025c6e52.jpg

Trial Fitting in the boot floor
d2832c22.jpg

3f3b8e2e.jpg

Carpet being fitted
a8e1a668.jpg

a8e1a668.jpg

Grip fill applied to Spacer Plate
0d1b2205.jpg

Spacer plate fitted to the floor with the carpet added
8928270f.jpg

0a86cfcb.jpg

Carpet trimmed and stuck down
134b8b2a.jpg

1e539be3.jpg

2d15f487.jpg

Amp bolted down and wiring added
5b6b0c44.jpg

Fitted into the car
cecfc991.jpg

aa73900b.jpg

77c091c4.jpg

With the rear seats out I have saved so much weight and as the MDF is only thin the install is very light but I don't have to lose the sound of the bass too :D

Paulie..

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
Is the kicker a 'free air' one mate, as in it doesn't need a sealed enclosure? Looks very nice Mate. Bet you're not tempting to go out these this morning ;) Fook it's cold.

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Is the kicker a 'free air' one mate, as in it doesn't need a sealed enclosure? Looks very nice Mate. Bet you're not tempting to go out these this morning ;) Fook it's cold.

It is 'free air' compatible but not specifically made for it. The enclosure is semi sealed as the floor is now bolted down to the chassis of the car. It was a compromise of weight saving vs. Bass.. the install weighs only slightly more than the VIBE Space box that it replaced and its enabled me to lose the back seats which is the whole reason for doing it.
I will be venturing out very soon, scanguage was saying that the water temp was -2 though so waiting for it to warm up a touch before I start the car ;)

Paulie..

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
How much would you say the rear seats weigh ? Do you run without seats all the time or just for track / santa pod ?

Tidy car too :)

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
How much would you say the rear seats weigh ? Do you run without seats all the time or just for track / santa pod ?

Tidy car too :)

Thanks mate.
Not too sure on what the seats actually weigh, but it's quite a bit. I'll get them on the scales one day ;)
I used to just take them out for track/Santa pod days but I am leaving them out all the time currently. The car feels much quicker and a lot better through the roundabouts without them in.

Paulie..

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
I was looking through some photos this morning and found these on my Mac, completely forgot to upload them so here they are,

Over the summer I decided I didn't like the 'standard' wing mirrors, previously owning a VW Golf with the blue tinted mirrors I had a look round to see what I could find. After searching high and low there was no sign of any blue tinted mirrors, so I had a go myself, brought some £5 tint off eBay and got cracking..

Standard Mirror
43d8b915.jpg

Film Cut to the Mirror shape
4bd0958e.jpg

Side By Side
56c7419f.jpg

LH mirror Tinted
96b921c2.jpg

LH vs RH
c05a671b.jpg

Both Mirrors Side by Side
bf93f415.jpg

Haven't got any pictures of them fitted, its one of those barely noticeable mods that only really enthusiasts pick up on when they go over the car, they do look really good on the car though :D

Paulie..

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Another quick update, After seeing a thread on here about Bonnet gas struts for the Ibiza I thought that I'd like a set of those, using the drawings given one of my good friends offered to make me up some brackets, So here are some pics of the build up process..

5cc31737.jpg

c63ed61e.jpg

4857059b.jpg

bb5ea52b.jpg

5a2a5ee7.jpg

5abe2a40.jpg

6893795e.jpg

6a977a7f.jpg

I had a can of S1A Chrono Yellow Paint laying around from when the chassis was seam welded so dropped that over to his workshop so he could spray them up for me..

64ecde08.jpg

309e293d.jpg

The Gas Struts came from StrutsDirect.co.uk, here they are fitted to the brackets..

d142270d.jpg

5932578c.jpg

and finally, fitted to the car..

2cffa317.jpg

0a533fbc.jpg

A quick video showing them working..

Massive Thanks goes out to Rob who took the time to manufacture the brackets for me. They are much better than the standard stick and give it a bit more of a 'Custom' look when opening the bonnet.

Paulie..

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
Just had a read through this, awesome car mate. Love the attention to detail gone into this.

Can i ask why you took the jabba map off? You looking at a new clutch now yours is slipping?

T10HJP

BucksVAG.Net
Feb 22, 2009
Bucks
www.BucksVAG.Net
Thanks..
Not really sure why I had the map taken off, think it was my 'sensible' head telling me that it was going to destroy the car. I should of mentioned on there that I actually went back to unit18 and they loaded the old software back on so its actually running the Jabba mapping again. Nothing compares to how much it pulls with the map on and will not be changing it from that again ;)
I am looking into new clutches yes, I will be going SMF and LSD at the same time so the big save is now under way :D

Paulie..

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
I know exactly what you mean, i changed the map on my old 306 and regretted it by the end of the journey home.

Just need to find myself a nice base car and i should end up with similar to this. Looking at a cupra 160 later, for a decent price aswell.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members