Yet Another Problem With My mk2

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Yes it's that time again. Once more my mk2 Ibiza has thrown another problem at me.

The fuel gauge has gone. It's saying there's no fuel and the warning light is always on. I filled up with £10 and it's still saying no fuel with the light on. Checked the car and nothing is leaking from under it.

A few weeks ago i was driving and the gauge went. I thought there was a major leak and all the fuel rushed out. The needle dropped and the light came on. About 30 seconds later it went back to normal. :confused:

The guy i brought the car off had to replace the dash, (rev counter, speedo ect...) because the fuel gauge went. Now the new unit has gone :censored:

Both units only had about 50k on the clock before they packed up. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Do i have to get another dash? Does anyone have any idea how much a new dash will cost? Can i fit the new dash myself or do i need to take it to a garage? Can i get just the fuel gauge and put it in the old unit?

Lots of questions, i know, sorry.

Once again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Boi Ninja

16 valves of sweet shhhhh
Dec 23, 2005
Enfield, Shanktown
wahh?? sorry to hear that mate, not a common problem that ive heard of tbh, replacing the dash does seem a bit long to do. i had a heater matrix failure and to replace that u had to take the whole dash out ...most places i went to wouldnt touch it and others said like £300-400ish. if its only the clocks then it shouldnt be too much to replace, get it diagnosed for about £20 thats prob ur best option for now and it will tell u the exact problem.

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
If you're looking to replace the clocks then you can get a set from a scrapyard for about £40. You'll have to get the mileage changed (bit of a grey area on the legality of this) which will be about £50.

You can easily fit it yourself, just take off the steering wheel then undo the two screws in the surround and then the two that hold the dial assembly in place. Its about a 10 minute job but it's worth buying the 24mm socket to make getting the wheel off easier!

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
:cartman:

sorry, just made me laugh....

Didn't mean filled it up completly, just put a tenner in incase it came out again. I wish i could fill the car to the top with £10 ;)

The car has a driver's air bag. If i take the steering wheel off will it knacker the airbag system or anything? Actually, never mind, i'll check in my Haynes manual and see what it says.

Can you purchase brand new units? If i get one from a scrappy i'm worried it will go again in a few more hundred miles, leaving me right back to square one...

Cheers.

Electro Ted

GTi Ted
Dec 15, 2006
Wokingham, Berks
It might not be the dash. It could well be the sender in the tank that's given up.

Before you take your steering wheel off disconnect the hegative terminal on the battery for 15 minutes. This will deactivate the air bag system.

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
It might not be the dash. It could well be the sender in the tank that's given up.

Before you take your steering wheel off disconnect the hegative terminal on the battery for 15 minutes. This will deactivate the air bag system.

Yea, i checked in the Haynes Manual and it said it could be the sender. Hopefully i'm going to buy a diagnostics kit soon so will know for sure what the problem is.

Thanks for the help. I would have just disconnected the battery so thanks for letting me know i have to wait 15 minutes.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
£10 of fuel left the light on in my MK2, thats probably what Carl was chuckling about!

If you have a laptop, get a OBD2 cable from eBay and look for some software!

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
£10 of fuel left the light on in my MK2, thats probably what Carl was chuckling about!

If you have a laptop, get a OBD2 cable from eBay and look for some software!

Sadly i don't have a laptop... :(

kiearn

Oct 24, 2006
Norwich
Post a thread up in the vagcom section, say where you are and somebody might be willing to meet you and do a diagnostic check. Bung them some beer money for their trouble.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise