You can have iPod and Aux in if you try!

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
For reasons only known to me I wanted an iPod connection with a difference. Firstly I wanted the iPod in the armrest rather than the (easier) glovebox location, secondly I wanted to keep an aux in input as I sometimes also carry music on my phone as well as on an iPod. Generally whatever connection solution you choose for an iPod you can't have both.

Anyhow for those interested here are the (not so great) pictures. There is an excellent post in the FAQ section about installing the Dension gateway 100 iPod controller with canbus (to work the MFD display) so I won't go over that part of the install again.

Basically the Dension has an aux in on it as well as the iPod connection, so all I did was connect the aux in socket in the armrest to the aux in on the Dension. I can then change to aux in from iPod using the Dension menu in the MFD so happy bunny :p

Obviously you can control the iPod from the steering wheel buttons but you don't get any control over the device connected to the aux in (phone in my case).

Here is the Dension being connected, the lower black wire next to the round white connector is a standard 3.5mm jack that is the aux connection on the Dension. I used a long aux cable with a jack at each end and cut the jack of one of the ends to connect to the aux in socket in the armrest. The iPod cable has to be fed from the armrest to the back of the radio as there is a large sqaure plug on the iPod (armrest) end (only wanted to drill as small hole as necessary in the armrest), the new aux in cable is fed from the back of the radio to the armrest, i.e. the other way round so that the wire tails can easilly be fed through the hole (the round jack is too large to do it the other way round)

IMG00063-20091024-1346.jpg

Aux in socket removed to access wires and hole drilled for iPod cable

IMG00064-20091024-1424.jpg

Cutting off the aux connector from the cables

IMG00067-20091024-1512.jpg

New cable connected to the aux in (other end of this cable is the first picture black wire connected to the Dension)

IMG00069-20091024-1526.jpg

Final results

IMG00070-20091024-1536.jpg

IMG00071-20091024-1544.jpg

IMG00072-20091024-1544.jpg

So now I can use a short aux cable to connect a phone or any other music device to the aux in socket in the armrest as well as having the iPod permanently connected in the armrest as well. Oh and you can still use both the cup holders as well:D

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
how easy to get the cable thru from the stereo under gear lever etc?

i need access to that at the weekend to do some wiring and any help to get the wires thru wud be appreciated :)

Cupranation

Aug 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Not too bad. I removed the plastic side pannel on the transmission tunnel with a good pull outwards and towards the front (two clips I think) plenty of space behind it to run wires.

Also removed the small trim directly below the handbrake to route the wires underneath be careful with this one, you have to lift it from the back first (trim tool or pallete knife then pull it towards the rear of the car don't pull the front of it upwards. The clip at the front slides forwards to secure it so if you pull it up at the front the small clip will break (as mine did, still need to get a replacement for it as it now rattles)

The hardest part I found was getting the cables up the side of the inside of the centre console and to the back of the radio. Its trial and error, took me about 4 attempts, more space to come through on the passenger side than drivers side and easier to come through the back left hand corner of the cage the radio sits in as you look at it.

This is a really rubbish photo but it might help you to see the place where I got the wires to go up and through once the transmission tunnel side pannel was removed.

IMG00061-20091024-1345.jpg

Hope that helps.

Proby

I Luv Boost!!
Aug 17, 2009
Nice post and good work! Its a shame the SEAT OEM ipod connection does not use the MFD like the Dennison!

S2TTB

The fake K1...
Apr 28, 2008
Glesga
Not too bad. I removed the plastic side pannel on the transmission tunnel with a good pull outwards and towards the front (two clips I think) plenty of space behind it to run wires.

Also removed the small trim directly below the handbrake to route the wires underneath be careful with this one, you have to lift it from the back first (trim tool or pallete knife then pull it towards the rear of the car don't pull the front of it upwards. The clip at the front slides forwards to secure it so if you pull it up at the front the small clip will break (as mine did, still need to get a replacement for it as it now rattles)

The hardest part I found was getting the cables up the side of the inside of the centre console and to the back of the radio. Its trial and error, took me about 4 attempts, more space to come through on the passenger side than drivers side and easier to come through the back left hand corner of the cage the radio sits in as you look at it.

This is a really rubbish photo but it might help you to see the place where I got the wires to go up and through once the transmission tunnel side pannel was removed.

IMG00061-20091024-1345.jpg

Hope that helps.

Magic!

i'll batter into it tomorrow. got the plasters looked out for the fingers already :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.