Young driver insurance

Cornishsteve

I'm looking for recommendations for good value (cheap as possible in other words) to cover a 17 year old new driver on an arosa 1.0s.
Currently the car is covered on my trader's policy, but I doubt I'll be able to add my son to an "any vehicle policy"
So far I've been gobsmacked by the prices demanded - around 1700 quid!!!
Do I have to resign myself to this robbery? I'm used to covering my vehicles (currently 2x205 gtis, 1x 205 cti and the arosa ) for under 400 the lot , benefits of being a country-dwelling old fart with a clean licence and 10yrs no claim

I just don't see how young drivers can cope with these premiums and hope somebody knows of an alternative.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
1700 is pretty good.

it's like 12 yrs since I learnt to drive, and I think I paid 835 for a 1.0 micra back then.

it'll get cheaper in yr2 (considerably) once he's had a claim & accident free year

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
That much sounds about right for his first year - is that on his own or under your name?

If you can stomach the massive prices, its worth getting him his own policy, as the first years NCB will make a massive difference the following years (alot of people find the quotes more than halve!) :)

Cornishsteve

That's for a policy in his own right - Best price for a policy in my name with him as a named driver was a much more manageable 350.- As he may be learning a while, this may be the best option for year1 . When you're talking those kind of figures, the best price I've heard for a 17 y.o. with a 1.6 205 gti is 1900 which is only 200 quid a year for an extra 10 - 11 insurance groups. Where the hell does that come from?????

As a full time student he won't be able to afford insurance and petrol, and I can't afford to bare that financial burden.

My first insurance at 17 cost me a week and a half's pay - WTF has happened?
Cost of living, house prices and transport cost in the 21st century........I'm glad I'm not having to start out now

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
You say that he won't be able to afford insurance and petrol as he is a full time student? How badly does he want a car? I am a full time student, and I've managed to run and mod my car myself for the past 2 1/2 years of uni by working hard over the summer, and not spending all my money during term time on pointless things (like going out and getting hammered every other night). So its possible, you just need to have a bit of self control when it comes to spending :)

Thats not a bad price for him on his own though! My first year was around the same ballpark, but lower due to me being female. I was under my mums name when I was learning as the Arosa was also the sensible familly hatchback (not now though!)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
That's for a policy in his own right - Best price for a policy in my name with him as a named driver was a much more manageable 350.- As he may be learning a while, this may be the best option for year1 . When you're talking those kind of figures, the best price I've heard for a 17 y.o. with a 1.6 205 gti is 1900 which is only 200 quid a year for an extra 10 - 11 insurance groups. Where the hell does that come from?????

As a full time student he won't be able to afford insurance and petrol, and I can't afford to bare that financial burden.

My first insurance at 17 cost me a week and a half's pay - WTF has happened?
Cost of living, house prices and transport cost in the 21st century........I'm glad I'm not having to start out now

That'd be fronting then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7052569.stm

Technically insurance fraud. YOu *could* have all your policies cancelled (for anything), and find getting insurance impossible in the future.

And your son could get 6 points for driving without insurance.

it's become increasingly popular recently because of the extra expense

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Try something like confused.com they give you quite a few reasonably prices quotes. You could also try tesco as you end up with 1 years NCB when you insure with them anyways and the renewals are pretty reasonable. To be fair if you think he pay have trouble paying the petrol etc.. what is going to happen if something goes wrong on it ? He might be better off learning to drive and then finding out if he needs a car whilst hes at college or if he can manage with public transport ?

Cornishsteve

It certainly won't be fronting whilst he's learning, not much chance of a learner being the main user is there? or If I use it to commute in afterwards. The car has also been registered in my name since he was 15 !

The named driver scheme is surely for such eventualities, allowing someone else to drive your car. As his college does not allow parking facilities for students, his main transport will still be the bus and driving will be purely for occasional social use.

Getting some experience behind the wheel is the main thing, earning no-claims bonus would also have been nice, but as I doubt he'll be able to afford to run a car when he goes to uni it may be wasted anyway.

allallyouyou

Arosa Sport
May 23, 2006
For a 17 year old whos just passed, third party fire and theft you should be aiming for £1200 - £1400 depending where you live in the U.K.

Run a quote on every insurance website you can find on google and see which come out the best. I wouldnt bother with the confused.com etc etc as they just dont give accurate quotes. Can use it as a guide tho? I always found the autotrader one to be the best. See which come out the cheapest on there then try direct.

Its all very time consuming but you know what they say about time is money and all that jazz ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members