Your opinions please guys

LregG

I won a silver R reg ibiza 2.0 16v GTI on ebay with 93k miles, Mot till june, short shift kit, de-cat, performance exhaust, tinted rear windows (not keen), 17's, lowered 40mm, bodykit, all old MoT's, service history, air con, body kit and a new clutch.......

fb2d_1.JPG

ab9a_1.JPG

Now is was going to pick it up sunday (340mile round trip!) but he has contacted me since saying he can't get the bonnet open (not really a problem, i'm sure i could sort that) and he has emailed me some more pics as i had requested some more. He mentioned rust on the rear arches but they are worse than i first thought.

The arches need some proper TLC which is putting me off a bit (not mentioned in the original listing, neither was the bonnet so i can walk away from the deal if i feel the need)

The colour, wheels and bodykit sold it for me, i'm holding out judgement on the front bumper but there is a decent gap for an intercooler which is important for my future plans. Surely there must be £750 in the car in parts alone so should i throw caution to the wind and just get the car regardless as i won it for less than that

Thanks in advance for your opinions

Gregg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
i'd say its worth it, bonnet catch is common, its a cable and relatively cheap to fix.

Rust on the rear arches would be my only concern, if its really set it your gonna need new metal.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
any pics of the arches? somebody did a bit of a "how to" on here a whaile ago when they did a repair on their rear arches. sometimes they look far worse in the pictures too! my old 8v looked as though the arches had almost desintigrated with rust in a pic, but up close the rust was merely surface rust with very solid metal underneath!

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Well if you like the bodykit, err no comment.
And if you bought a car hundreds of miles away without viewing it, err again no comment; but as you said, you could get a fair few quid for it in parts if you have lots of time on your hands to strip it all and post bits.

I like the mirrors on it, wonder if that will catch on?

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
hey dude, if ou want honesty then.......

i think there are better ones out there, the side skrits dont match in colour, the mirrors, the front bumper..it would just make me think how the lad has driven it ????

if it was me then i'd bow out and say he didnt advertise is right.

You can do better and its a buyers market !

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
how much did you pay??? and the arches are easy to fix as long as the rust is only on the surface and not gone though

as for the car,

spoiler = tis ok
skirts = crap
alloys = not great
tinted windows also not too keen

but its not my car so if you like it, enjoy it!

LregG

Thanks for the comments guys......

I agree andy, not looking at a car before bidding may seem a little insane but that is just me, i like to do random things every now and then (not often!). I do all my own work anyhow so not really a problem, i'll even do my own MoT when it is due..... i don't however do bodywork, i'll leave that to the professionals at work lol (who deal with up to £90k cars so are not cowboys).

As for people not liking the bodykit, i'm not bothered, i like it, it's different and as i have said above, the front bumper will house a decent size intercooler nicely, something a standard bumper would not, so i'm happy with it in that respect.

The mirror backing will obviously get sprayed, so again, not a problem.

The austion ended at £720 but due to the bonnet cable the owner has dropped the price to £670, so £650 then lol....a bargain at that price??

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
The mirror backing will obviously get sprayed, so again, not a problem.

The austion ended at £720 but due to the bonnet cable the owner has dropped the price to £670, so £650 then lol....a bargain at that price??

nice price!! paid 300 for mine but needed a few problems to be fixed still.

look at my pic V i have sprayed those backing, as you can tll they dont match up lol so make sure u get the same paint!!

speaking of which anyone know what colour red ibizas came in?? friend thinks its called tornedo red any ideas?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
for that kinda money, you should get miles for smiles ( I know, Taxi and coat at the ready...)
if your *trade* anyway, you should be able to get things done to it pretty cheaply/easily so yeah, if you like it, why not
:D

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Car manufacturers change the colours of the paint all the time and there are probably about a dozen different hues of Tornado Red from VAG. You need the paint code off the sticker in the boot or sticker in the service book.

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
I would want to get the bonnet open, in as much as if I wanted to hide a problem bonnet catch is an ideal get out clause.

He may be honest, however wouldnt you want to check all is ok underneath there?

LregG

I'm going to take a long screw driver and open the bonnet before i hand over any cash :eek:)

It was serviced in november along with the new clutch so i shouldn't find too many horror stories.

I am 'trade', i'm a master tech so no worries at all really, well apart from the busmans holiday aspect obviously lol

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
, the side skrits dont match in colour, the mirrors, the front bumper..!

I'm going to take a long screw driver and open the bonnet before i hand over any cash :eek:)
I am 'trade', i'm a master tech so no worries at all really, well apart from the busmans holiday aspect obviously lol

pic's taken early morning with condensation/frost all over it so might not be that bad

check rear arches up the seams (under the covers) especially at the front/sill area where the sealer holds it together so check properly

bumper has loads of room btw (same on mine) but don't flame me - was cheap same colour and better than a broken F2 i had before :p

cable 2 piece runs osf along front panel and along inner wing where it joins by the strut (and breaks there regular) if you reach up enough straight by teh pas pump you may get the bonnet end of it to pull

LregG

cheers fl@pper, loads of good info there relavant to the topic, in essence, what a good forum is all about

Cheers

Gregg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.