Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Right and Left Vent Heat Differences

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by Syerate, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Syerate

Syerate Active Member

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has had or has a similar issue to this. But for some reason my right vents (driver) don't produce as much heat as the left vents (passenger). I have plugged a diagnostic tablet into the OBD connection and checked the actuator outputs and vent temperatures.

The temperature displayed in Fahrenheit (when settings are on highest), from the working vents (left) is around 170 (70c), where as the defective vents on the right are displaying a temp of 110 (40c) ish. I have checked the sensors and probed the vents my self and got the same temps as mentioned on the tablet used to scan the car.

I am not sure what I should check next as it seems as if for some reason the car is just not providing higher temps for the right vents but left ones are working fine.

Any help would be appreciated, also there are no fault codes.

(Car - 64 Seat Leon FR 2.0TDI)

Thanks.

#1 Syerate, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  2. black_sheep

black_sheep Active Member

A number of MQB car owners (Leon, Octavia, Golf) are finding that the heater matrix is failing.

This thread explains how the matrix can be replaced:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/aircon-and-heater-doesnt-work.432793/page-4

#2 black_sheep, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    bgb likes this.
  3. Soundlab

Interestingly, I noticed on the way to work this morning that my passenger side vent was putting out cold air and the drivers side warm/hot air. I had both set to 16 degrees.

4. Mr_G

Mr_G Active Member

No idea on the technical side of things but could it be some kind of quirk / LHD design choice? The bonnet release is set up for LHD, the owners books assumes LHD when explaining stuff like the auto dipping mirror, lane assist etc so why not the heating layout - come up with one design that favours the bigger LHD market and save costs by using it in RHD cars even if it doesn't work as well as it should...

Different car admittedly but following on from the above, I had an Altea XL and from new that blew hotter / demisted the windscreen faster on the passenger side, a bit daft in a RHD car but would make perfect sense for LHD.

5. Syerate

Syerate Active Member

I don't really think its the Matrix as the system produces hot air just fine, its just the hot air isn't being dispensed on the drivers side for some reason, maybe actuator flaps?

6. AndrewJB

AndrewJB Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing

All SEAT cars are like this, I have owned MK4 Ibiza, 2x MK2 Leon, 1 MK3 Leon and now a MK1 Leon.

The passenger side is stronger, must be to do with LHD market being bigger for them.

7. Syerate

Syerate Active Member

I understand what you are saying but I don't see how this would be the conclusion in my car if there was hot air on the drivers side before and now there is not.

8. RUM4MO

RUM4MO Active Member

Has your car got "Mit Silikat" written on the coolant reservoir, if so maybe it is a matrix issue.

9. IbizaNI

IbizaNI Active Member

I actually had a smilar problem, took it to 2 dealers and they saw nothing wrong with it, I find the problem fixes itself when I put the climate system to "auto" rather than doing my own thing with it, very odd but I've learnt to live with it.